- M.A, Mechanics and Mathematic (Undergraduate and Graduate Coursework), Moscow State University
- Ph.D, The Institute of History of Science and Technology, Academy of Sciences, Moscow(USSR)
- 2006.1- present Associate Professor, National Tsing Hua University (Hsinchu, Taiwan).
- 2007.1-2007.4 Member, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Historical Studies, Princeton, NJ (USA).
- 2004.8-2006.1 Assistant Professor, University of Quebec at Montreal (Canada).
- 2004.5-2004.8 Visiting Professor, Instutut National de Recherche Pedagogique (France).
- 2000.9-2004.5 Course Lecturer, McGill University (Canada).
- 2000.7-2001.6 Research Assistant Professor, Concordia University (Canada).
- 1996.6-1999.6 Post-Doctoral Fellow, The University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong).
- 1992.6-1994.6 Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (Paris, France).
- 1990.11-1991.12 Bourse Diderot Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (Paris, France).
- 1990.2-1990.11 Research Fellow, Institute of the History of Science and Technology (Moscow, USSR/Russia).
- 1996.1-1990.2 Research Fellow, Programming Systems Institute (Pereslav1-Zalesskii, USSR/Russia).
- 1980.8-1982.12 Research Fellow, Institute for Research in Experimental Physics (USSR/Russia).
- History of mathematics and related disciplines (mathematics education, logic) in non-Western cultural contexts, in particular, in China, Vietnam, and Russia;
- History of astronomy/astrology in non-Western cultural contexts, in particular, in China and Vietnam;
- History of interaction between science and religion (in particular, in China and Vietnam);
- Role of visualisation in transmission of scientific and pseudo-scientific knowledge.
- Viktor Freiman, Alexei Volkov. “Didactical innovations of L.F. Magnitskiĭ: setting up a research agenda.” International Journal for the History of Mathematics Education, vol. 10 (2015), no. 1 (forthcoming).
- Alexei Volkov. “Astrology and hemerology in traditional Vietnam.” In: Stars and Fate: Astrology and Divination in East Asia (special issue of Extreme-Orient Extreme-Occident, Paris), vol. 35 (2013), pp. 113-140.
- Alexei Volkov. “Recent publications on the early history of Chinese mathematics” [essay review]. Educação Matemática Pesquisa. Revista do Programa de Estudos Pós-Graduados em Educação Matemática (São Paulo), vol. 14 (2012), no. 3, pp. 348-362.
- Wu He吴贺, Alexei Volkov 琅元. “法夸尔森与俄国近代科学的发展” [H. Farquaharson and development of modern Russian science], in歷史研究 2011, no. 3, pp. 181-188.
- Alexei Volkov. “Commentaries upon commentaries: The translation of the Jiu zhang suan shu 九章算術 by Karine Chemla and Guo Shuchun (essay review)”. Historia Mathematica, vol. 37 (2010), pp. 281-301.
- Alexei Volkov. “Western Logic in China: Proofs in the first Chinese translation of the Elements of Euclid”. Paper delivered at the Second International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching Asian Regional Conference, Taibei, Taiwan, December 4-7, 2014.
- Alexei Volkov. “Cartographic Work of Jesuit Missionaries in the 17th century Vietnam”. Paper delivered at the International Conference “History of Mathematical Sciences: Portugal and East Asia V. Visual and textual representations in exchanges between Europe and East Asia”. National Tsing-Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, November 7-9, 2014.
- Viktor Freiman, Alexei Volkov. “What did the Students Learn from Mathematics Textbooks? The Case of L. F. Magnitskii’s Arithmetic”. Paper delivered at the 38th Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education and the 36th Conference of the North American Chapter of the Psychology of Mathematics Education, Vancouver, Canada, July 15-20, 2014.
- Alexei Volkov. “On mathematics education in China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam prior to the 16th century.” Paper delivered at the International Workshop “Mapping Physical and Cultural Landscapes: A Workshop Honoring the Career and Accomplishments of Thomas H.C. Lee”「教」與「圖」: 向李弘祺教授事業成就致敬 工作坊. National Tsing-Hua University, June 6, 2014.
- Alexei Volkov. “On one method of Chinese numerical divination and its transmission to Vietnam and Japan.” Paper delivered at the International Workshop “Transmission of Scientific Knowledge: Continuity and Change” 季風亞洲與多元文化專題: 「科學知識的傳播:延續與轉變」工作坊. National Tsing-Hua University, June 5, 2014.
- Alexei Volkov. “Vietnamese astronomy and astrology: A case study of transmission of knowledge”. Paper delivered at the International Workshop “Dialogues between East and West: cross-cultural transmission of science and technology from the 16th to the 20th century”, National Tsing-Hua University, December 1-2, 2012.
- Alexei Volkov, Yang Wei-Ting. “Quantitative analysis of Mawangdui maps: A reassessment”. Paper delivered at the International Conference “The Oceans, Consciousness of Space and Cultural Interflow: The Second International Symposium of Cartography/ 海洋、空間意識與文化交會：第二屆輿圖學國際學術研討會”, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, November 27-29, 2012.
- Alexei Volkov. “Chinese mathematics in Vietnam: transmission and adaptation”. Paper delivered at the 7th Joint Meeting of the HSS, the British Society for the History of Science, and the Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (Philadelphia, PA, USA), July 11-14, 2012.
- Viktor Freiman, Alexei Volkov. “Common fractions in L.F. Magnitskii’s Arithmetic (1703): Interplay of tradition and didactical innovation”. Paper delivered on at the 12th International Congress on Mathematics Education, Seoul, South Korea, July 8-15, 2012.
- Alexei Volkov. “Scholarly treatises or school textbooks? Mathematical didactics in traditional China and Vietnam”. Paper delivered on at the 12th International Congress on Mathematics Education, Seoul, South Korea, July 8-15, 2012.
- Alexei Volkov. “Divination practices among Vietnamese minorities”. Paper delivered at the International Conference on “Divinatory Traditions in East Asia: Historical, Comparative and Transnational Perspectives”, Rice University (Houston, TX, USA), February 17-18, 2012 (co-authored with Mai Bui Dieu Linh).
- Alexei Volkov. “Weighted distribution in Vietnamese mathematics”. Paper delivered at the 13th International Conference on the History of Science in East Asia, 25-29 July 2011, Hefei, P.R. of China.
- Alexei Volkov. “Making a Biography of a Mathematician: the Case of L.F. Magnitskii (1669-1739).” Paper delivered at the International Conference “Source Materials in History of Science and Technology and Their Interpretation: Problems and Approaches”, National Tsing-Hua University (Taiwan), December 3, 2010 (co-authored with Wu He吳賀).
- Alexei Volkov. “Numerical Parameters in Ancient Mathematical Problems: Examples and Reflections”. Paper delivered at the International Conference “Mathematics in Ancient Times” (Satellite Conference of the International Congress of Mathematicians, 2010), Kozhikode, India, August 29-September 1, 2010.
- Alexei Volkov. “Traditional Chinese science among Vietnamese minorities: preliminary results”. Paper delivered at the 12th International Conference on the History of Science in China (第十二届国际中国科学史会议), Beijing, 26-30 June 2010.
- Alexei Volkov. “Transmission of knowledge through Daoist networks: the case of minorities nationalities of Northern Vietnam”. Paper delivered at the Fourth International Conference on the History of Science and Technology in Taoism, Hong Kong, May 24-28, 2010.
- Alexei Volkov. “On Archimedian-like methods in traditional Chinese mathematics”. Paper delivered at the International Archimedes Workshop, National Tsing Hua University, February 26, 2010.
- Alexei Volkov. “Mathematics, mathematical education, and mathematical examinations in Vietnam.” In Sasaki Chikara (Editor-in-chief), Takase Masahito, Miura Nobuo, and Kobayashi Tatsuhiko (eds.), Dictionary of the History of Mathematics, Tokyo: Nippon Hyoronsha (forthcoming).
- Alexei Volkov. “Mathematics in Vietnam.” In H. Selin (ed.), Encyclopaedia of the History of Non-Western Science: Natural Science, Technology and Medicine (3rd updated edition). Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag (forthcoming).
- Alexei Volkov. “History of mathematics education in Oriental Antiquity and Middle Ages”. In Alexander Karp and Gert Schubring (eds.), Handbook on the History of Mathematics Education, New York etc: Springer, 2014, pp. 55-70, 79-82.
- Alexei Volkov. “Didactical dimensions of mathematical problems: ‘weighted distribution’ in a Vietnamese mathematical treatise”. In Alain Bernard and Christine Proust (eds.), Scientific Sources and Teaching Contexts Throughout History: Problems and Perspectives (Boston Studies in the Philosophy and History of Science, vol. 301), Dordrecht etc: Springer, 2014, pp. 247-272.
- Alexei Volkov. “An Early Japanese Work on Chinese Mathematics in Vietnam: Mikami Yoshio’s Study of the Vietnamese Mathematical Treatise Chi minh toan phap 指明算法”. In Eberchard Knobloch, Komatsu Hikosaburo and Liu Dun (eds.), Seki, Founder of Modern Mathematics in Japan: A Commemoration on His Tercentenary (Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, volume 39), Tokyo etc.: Springer, 2013, pp. 149-172.
- Alexei Volkov. “Evangelization, Politics, and Technology Transfer in the 17th-Century Cochinchina: the Case of João da Cruz”. In Luis Saraiva (ed.), Europe and China: Science and the Arts in the 17th and 18th Centuries, Singapore: World Scientific, 2012, pp. 31-67.
- Alexei Volkov. “Argumentation for state examinations: demonstration in traditional Chinese and Vietnamese mathematics”. K Chemla (ed.), The History of Mathematical Proof in Ancient Traditions, Cambridge University Press, 2012, pp. 509-551.
- Alexei Volkov. “Traditional Chinese Science among Vietnamese Minorities: Preliminary Results.” In: 郭勇斌 (ed.), Multi-cultural Perspectives of the History of Science and Technology in China. Beijing: 科學出版社, 2012, pp. 238-247.
- Viktor Freiman, Alexei Volkov. “What did the Students Learn from Mathematics Textbooks? The Case of L. F. Magnitskii’s Arithmetic”. In: Liljedahl, P. et al. (eds.). Proceedings of the 38th Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education and the 36th Conference of the North American Chapter of the Psychology of Mathematics Education. Vancouver, 2014, vol. 3, pp. 113-120.
- Alexei Volkov. Review of Roger Hart, The Chinese Roots of Linear Algebra, (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011), Bulletin of the British Society for History of Mathematics, 2012 (DOI: 10.1080/17498430.2012.687678).
- Alexei Volkov, Huang Yi-Long. Review of Nathan Sivin, Granting the Seasons: The Chinese Astronomical Reform of 1280, with a Study of Its Many Dimensions and an annotated Translation of Its Records”, Isis, vol. 103 (2012), no. 1, p. 173.
Courses Taught in the Center for General Education of NTHU in 2010-2015:
- 前近代科學史 Introduction to the History of Pre-Modern Science
- 西洋數學史 Introduction to The History and Philosophy of Western Mathematics
- 科技、社會與歷史 Science, Technology, Society, and History
- 科學革命 The Scientific Revolution
Courses Taught in the Graduate Institute of History of NTHU in 2010-2015:
- 科學史導論 Introduction to the History of Science
- 近代以前科學的視覺呈現：圖形、地圖與道符 Visual Representations in Pre-modern Science: Diagrams, Maps, and Talismans
- 西方科學史的史學研究 Western Historiography of the History of Science
- 煉金術史 History of Alchemy
- 前現代社會中的宗教與治療方式 Religion and practices of healing in pre-modern societies